From: Blue Health Solutions, Blue Cross Blue Shield E-Newsletter
Here comes the flu again
Up to 49,000 Americans die of influenza—or the flu—each year. But you can take steps to avoid becoming a statistic.
Here are 2 strategies that can help protect yourself and your family:
1. Talk with your doctor about flu vaccinations. A vaccination is still the best defense against the flu, according to health experts. Currently, there are 2 forms of administration: a shot and a nasal spray. Your doctor will be able to recommend the right choice for you.
2. Follow these simple hygiene practices to help prevent the flu—and teach your children to do so, as well:
• Wash your hands frequently with soap and water.
• Cover your nose and mouth if you sneeze or cough.
• Touch your eyes, nose and mouth as little as possible.