Tips For a Better Night Sleep
· Follow a regular sleep schedule. Go to sleep and get up and the same time everyday. Try to avoid napping in the late afternoon or evening.
· Develop a bedtime routine. Take time to relax before bed each night. Try reading a book, soaking in a hot bath, or listening to music.
· Keep your bedroom dark, not too hot or too cold, and as quiet as possible.
· Have a comfortable mattress and pillow as well as enough blankets depending on the season.
· Exercise at regular times during each day but not within three hours of going to bed.
· Be careful on how much you eat and when you eat. Large meals close to bedtime may keep you awake, but a light snack before bed might help you sleep.
· Stay away from caffeine late in the day. Caffeine (found in coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and soda) may keep you awake.
· Drink fewer beverages in the evening. Waking up to use the restroom and turning on a bright light may interrupt your sleep.
Excerpt from: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sleep/HQ01387