Recipe from Lisa Leake, of http://www.100daysofrealfood.com
“I’ve got another holiday recipe for you today! This kale and apple salad may be just for the adult table though, if I am being honest. I don’t know about your kids, but my girls have never been big blue cheese fans (they’ve dubbed it “stinky cheese” for obvious reasons), and no matter how hard I try, I can’t really get them into raw kale lately either. But just because they feel that way doesn’t mean we have to miss out on this divine combination. So this is one of those rare occasions when our little ones might get something separate…albeit a different type of salad!”
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 6 cups torn kale leaves, big ribs removed and discarded
- ½ an apple, cut into thin, 1- inch pieces (I went with Honey Crisp, but Gala would be good as well)
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped and lightly toasted
- 3 to 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- In a small jar, combine the olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, and salt. Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine.
- Place the kale leaves into a large salad bowl and, using your hands, sort of massage the olive oil mixture into the leaves.
- Throw the apples, walnuts, and blue cheese on top of the kale and lightly toss to combine.