If you have been trying to juggle long-distance caregiving or you need professional advice on how to organize your parent’s care, a Geriatric Care Manager can be a godsend. These are members of a relatively new field of social workers, counselors and nurses who will assess, organize, monitor and manage your parent’s caregiving needs. For example, they will meet with your parent, conduct an assessment to identify their needs, determine their eligibility for a host of services, make arrangements for those services, interview home health care and senior care workers, monitor them, arrange for transportation to and from doctors’ appointments, analyze financial, legal or medical information-they’ll even oversee a move from your parent’s home to assisted living, a nursing home, or retirement community.
When you are looking to hire a Geriatric Care Manager, here are a few questions to keep in mind for them:
- What services do you provide and who provides them?
- What are your credentials? Are you licensed in your professions?
- How long have you been providing care management services? How long have you been practicing in this community?
- Do you have any affiliations and memberships in community organizations?
- Are you available for emergencies? Who do you have on backup if you are not available?
- What can I expect to learn from your initial assessment? What does it include (e.g. physical and mental status, financial resources)? Who conducts the medical component, and what are their qualifications?
- How do you perform quality checks on the service providers and referrals you recommend?
- How do you communicate information to me about my parent and how often?
- How often will you have face-to-face contact with my parent?
- How many cases do you handle at one time? What are your fees and can you provide me with references?
CareGivers America staff is thoroughly trained, bonded, and insured. Call today to find out how we can keep you in your home.
Information provided by Dr. Linda Rhodes, Finding Your Way, 250 Real Life Questions and Commonsense Answers http://lindarhodescaregiving.com/index.htm