If you are an adult with a severe physical disability, the Independence Waiver may be able to help you live or remain in the community and remain as independent as possible.
• Be a Pennsylvania resident
• Be 18-60
• Physically disabled (but not with mental retardation or have a major mental disorder as a primary diagnosis, or who are ventilator dependent), residing in a Nursing Facility (NF) or the community but requires services at the level of nursing facility level of care.
• Your disability must result in substantial functional limitations in three or more of the following major life activities:
• Self-care, understanding and use of language, learning, mobility, self-direction and/or capacity for independent living.
• Meet the financial requirements as determined by your local County Assistance Office.
Services that can be provided by CareGivers America include:
• Assistive technology/specialized medical equipment and supplies
• Community integration services
• Environmental adaptations
• Non-medical transportation services
• Personal assistance services
• Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS)
• Respite services
Note: The list of eligibility criteria and services may change when waiver amendments or waiver renewals are approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). Please, visit the Department of Public Welfare’s website for a current list of all services provided through this waiver.