Caravia Fresh Foods located in Clarks Summit, PA has a sandwich on their menu called “Hummus Avocado” on 7 grain bread and it is absolutely delicious. I love it so much that I decided to make my own version with some of my own tweaks and additions! -Christine DiChiara, Marketing Coordinator at CareGivers America Clarks Summit
What you’ll need:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 Roma tomato (these tomatoes are “meatier” than tomatoes on the vine
- Roasted Red Peppers from a jar
- Red Onion, sliced thin
- Fresh lime juice
- Cracked sea salt
- Any hummus flavor you like, I prefer Roasted Red Pepper or Plain for this sandwich
- 12 grain bread, or any multi-grain bread
- Optional: Fresh Cilantro
- Toast the bread while you prepare the other ingredients. Toast the bread enough where it has some crunch, not a change in color. After it’s finished, take the slices and set them aside on a plate.
- Take a knife and cut around the avocado pit. Pull halves apart and dispose of the pit inside. Take a teaspoon and run it underneath the avocado between the meat inside and the skin. Dispose of the skin, thinly slice the avocado halves.
- Thinly slice the red onion, tomato, and roasted red peppers.
- Build the sandwich by first spreading a generous amount of hummus on each slice of bread. Top with all other ingredients. Gently pour a little lime juice on the avocado slices.
- Finish off with freshly cracked sea salt, top with other bread slice, and enjoy!