Satisfying a sweet tooth-without the guilt
You made it through dinner, keeping your promise to limit the calories and fat. But then comes the course that almost always gets you to cave: dessert.
Though it can be a calorie and fat trp, you don’t have to skimp on the meal’s finale. Instead, you need to find a way to satisfy that sweet tooth without guilt. And that’s where nature’s sweetest low-fat, low-calorie, offering–fruit!–comes in:
- Apple of your eye: Slice up some apples and sprinkle with a little bit of cinnamon, then bake.
- Layer: Alternate layers of nonfat yogurt with fresh fruit in a parfait glass.
- Get your calcium too: Keep low-fat or non-fat fruit yogurt on hand for an afternoon pick-me-up.
- The grill isn’t only for meat: Slice up peaches, bananas, and pineapples and give them a little heat, which will bring out their natural sweetness.
- Try an even quicker sweet fix: Pop open some canned fruit (canned in its own juice or water-no heavy syrup!) and enjoy.
- Think heavenly: Not all cakes are created equal. Angel food cake is a healthy option that’s made even better with the addition of some fresh fruit or fruit puree on top.
- Make your own icy treat: Freeze grapes and bananas for an ice cream alternative. Choose wisely: If your dessert options are limited to a restaurant menu, look for a fruit salad or sorbet, sherbet or meringues and skip the chocolate lava cake.
- Get creative: OK, so you really want to make that brownie recipe. You can still cut down on the sugar intake by substituting equal amounts of unsweetened applesauce, or cutting the amount of sugar in half.